The Virgin Islands Next Generation, Inc. (viNGN) invites the community to celebrate the achievements of U.S. Virgin Islanders during this and every Virgin Islands History Month. Information on prominent Virgin Islanders may be found in local book stores, on the internet, in archives, libraries and museums.
A great first stop is Project Introspection – Profiles of Outstanding Virgin Islanders. Project Introspection is an initiative developed in 1967 through funding from the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Title III. With a stated objective “to coordinate units of work on the Virgin Islands and Caribbean from all available sources had a two-fold objective: 1) to discover and reproduce such material for instruction, and 2) to provide a medium for wide dissemination of this material for the benefit of all Virgin Islands school children and ultimately the entire community.”
- Read the Virgin Islands Daily News entry by Artrelle M. Wheatley, “Project Introspection: Study of V.I. Life” (Google News)
- Read the Governor’s proclamation of Virgin Islands History Month (March 2010)
Along with Project Introspection, here are a number of other resources which we hope you will find useful throughout the year!
- Caribbean Genealogy Library
- Digital Lib. of the Caribbean (DLOC)
- Library of Congress (LOC)
- Project Introspection – UVI
- Project Introspection – Profiles of Outstanding Virgin Islanders
- Search USVI Public Libraries
- Search UVI DLOC
- Search UVI Library
- USVI Public Libraries Resource List
- VI Code at Lexis Nexis®