The first TEDx event ever in the U.S. Virgin Islands is set to take place on Saturday, June 6, 2015 from 9:30am-1:30pm at the Antilles School. TEDx is an offshoot of the original TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design – TED Talks) gatherings, which offer presentations of interest on a global scale.
TED began in 1984 with an invite to thought leaders from various disciplines, including technology, business, communication and social change, and has evolved to become a widely diverse collection of ideas and content, available via an online video library at any time, day or night. TED Talks are accessible in more than 100 languages, and the independently run TEDx events allow communities create their own platforms for “ideas worth spreading.”
To view biographical information on each presenter, visit the TEDx St. Thomas Speakers Page. The speakers slated to appear are –
- David Berg: “Persevering Culture: The Importance of Remembering Where We Came From So That It May Guide and Inspire Our Future”
- Mark Changizi: “Curing the Colorblind of their Health-Blindness”
- Scott Eanes: “Cyril E. King: Where Passion and Conservation Take Flight”
- Ben Halpert: “Technology Addiction and What you Can do About It”
- Amit Mirpuri: “Click. Done.”
- Lukas Neely: “Is This the Death of Investing?”
- Nate Olive: “Fixing Paradise: Rethinking Sustainable Agriculture for Food-Desert Caribbean Islands and Beyond”
- Hayida Sewer: “We Must Talk about Race and American Colonialism”
- Kevin Williams: “Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten (and SEAL Training)”
Tickets are $30, available at Chelsea Drugstore in Red Hook and Scoops & Brew in Crown Bay Marina.