Our society has become very concerned with the idea of wellness. A simple search on the Internet yields a plethora of websites dedicated to improving our wellness (including one for our pets!). But what is wellness? Dr. Bill Hettler, of the National Wellness Institute, defined six components to wellness: physical, intellectual, occupational, social, emotional, and spiritual. These six dimensions are areas in which we can exert some control over our lives by modifying our behaviors.
- Physical : diet, exercise, medical care
- Intellectual: problem solving, creativity, learning
- Occupational: personal satisfaction, achievement, ambition
- Social: personal relationships, community, connection with nature
- Emotional: awareness and acceptance of feelings, trust, respect
- Spiritual: meaning and purpose, beliefs, values read more