viNGN CEO Encourages Ricardo Richards School Students to Believe in Themselves at Career Day Event


Dr. McGibbon serenades and inspires youngsters pursue their dreams with passion

ST. CROIX, U.S. Virgin Islands – Dr. Mark McGibbon, President and CEO of the Virgin Islands Next Generation, Inc. spent time with third graders at Ricardo Richards Elementary School during its Career Day on Friday, May 04, 2018. He was accompanied by viNGN Service Delivery Manager Aisha Webster. McGibbon’s message at Ricardo Richards Elementary was to “Believe in Yourself!”

The tone was set as the third grade students entered the classroom to the sounds of Dr. McGibbon playing the guitar, and they were eager to listen to the advice and wisdom yet to be shared.

Dr. McGibbon did not use his time to talk about himself or what it is like to be a CEO; instead, he took the opportunity to empower and encourage the students to work hard in achieving their dreams. He allowed the students to talk about their own interests; he listened to their comments and delivered a message that revolved around being truthful, honest and to working hard in school. Approximately 75% of the students desired to be teachers, while the remaining 25% aspired to be medical doctors, lawyers, veterinarians, chefs, military service members, cosmetologists, singers, dancers and actors.

With the help of students, Dr. McGibbon addressed many adult subjects in a manner where the 3rd graders comprehended his words of wisdom. He encouraged students to follow their career passions, but not to be consumed with work because the family – work life balance is important throughout one’s life. He stressed the importance of enjoying the career paths chosen because work is a place where most of us spend a majority of our time. He also emphasized being a life-long learner because knowledge continues to accelerate rapidly and knowledge workers must stay abreast of our dynamic world and technology.

As a life-long learner, Dr. McGibbon stated the correlation between one’s education-level to life-long earnings: the higher the education level, the higher one’s life-long earnings. “To continue as a life-long learner and be admitted and matriculated into one of our country’s colleges and universities, students must earn good grades and apply themselves, because within the higher learning institutions, it’s quite a competitive student selection process,” McGibbon said. “Never underestimate your abilities and try your best,” McGibbon stated, “furthermore, I recommend you develop your strengths and passions over weaknesses and areas you don’t like because your strengths are your God given talents.”

“viNGN was proud to participate in Ricardo Richards Career Day! Ms. Aisha Webster and I had a great time this afternoon with the 3rd grade students,” McGibbon concluded. “It was nice to work with these young students, and I hope just seeing this article inspires other community leaders to take part in events like these. It’s all about paying it forward and taking interest in our country’s youth to help invest in their successful futures.”

Career Day activities at Richard Richards Elementary School centered around giving students insight and first hand exposure to various careers in industries such as technology, public service, medicine and a host of other professions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.